If you’re going to invest in a video gaming platform for yourself or your kids, you want to be sure that you’re getting the best possible experience when you use it. For people who enjoy playing racing or racing simulator games, that means getting your hands on a top quality xBox steering wheel.
As is the case with any product, it can be hard to pick the right steering wheel for your personal gaming needs. There are many options on the market and the sheer volume of choices can be overwhelming. That’s why we have taken the time to evaluate the steering wheels available and choose the ones we think are best. But first, let’s talk about what to look for when you’re shopping for an xBox steering wheel.
What to Look for in an xBox Steering Wheel
The point of investing in an xBox steering wheel is to guarantee that you have the most immersive gaming experience possible. Here are some of the things to keep in mind as you make your decision.
- The first and most important quality to look for is feedback. How close does the steering wheel in question come to making you feel like you’re really on the road? You should be able to feel the road’s surface change and the resistance when you head into a tight curve. The best steering wheels provide that experience.
- Of course, the reliability of your steering wheel also matters. Even though you’re not really on the road, you want to feel that you are – and you don’t want your wheel to give up on you when you’re in the middle of a race. The best wheels have top-notch engineering and durability so you can count on them to work.
- The ease with which you can set up your wheel and start driving is important, as is the thoroughness and clarity of the instructions included with it. Since electronics are commonly manufactured overseas, it’s not unusual to have poorly written instruction manuals and guide. You want a steering wheel that is ready to use out of the box, and comes with easy-to-understand instructions.
- Finally, you need to think about the price. Your budget may be high or low, and there are good steering wheels available at a variety of price points. You’ll have to weigh the functionality and features you want against the money you have to spend to pick the best possible steering wheel for your personal gaming needs.
Best xBox Steering Wheels in 2017
Now that you know what to look for, let’s review our list of the best xBox steering wheels for 2017.
Table of Contents
- 7. Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Add-On
- 6. Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel
- 5. Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback Racing Wheel
- 4. Logitech Driving Force G920 Racing Wheel
- 3. Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel for Xbox
- 2. Thrustmaster VG TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
- 1. Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel for Xbox One
7. Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Add-On
The first item on our list is the Thrustmaster VG Ferrari Wheel. We chose it because it’s an 8:10 scale replica of a reel Ferrari steering wheel. While it’s not attached to a real car, it does adhere to automotive quality standards and offers great feedback to simulate the experience of being on the road. You can also swap out this wheel for other wheels easily thanks to the Thrustmaster Quick Release system.
There are some potential downsides here. The first is that this wheel doesn’t have as many buttons as a standard T500 wheel. Some people may find the action on the buttons not to be as responsive as they’d like. And finally, people with short fingers may feel that the buttons are a bit too far apart for their taste.
6. Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel
Coming in at #6 on our list is the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel from Microsoft. We like it because it’s very easy to learn to use, even for beginners. It has an instantaneous response time, which is great for people who want to feel like they’re really on the road. It’s also one of the more affordable wheels on our list.
There are a few potential negatives here. The first is that this wheel is specifically for the Xbox 360 so if you have a more recent version you’ll need to look elsewhere. The second is that while the response time on this wheel is awesome, the feedback could be better. It can be hard to get a read on the performance of your tires and the feel of the road while you’re using it.
5. Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Our #5 pick is the Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback Racing Wheel. We chose it for our list because it has a 900-degree force feedback base. We also love the realistic competition steering wheel design, and the fact that this wheel has the drivers to be compatible with PC games as well as Xbox One games.
In terms of negative, there are a few to keep in mind. The first is that while the wheel is well constructed, the wheel clamp is not strong and may break with rigorous use. If you tend to turn the wheel hard you may want to choose a more durable model. The same goes for the springs on the pedals – the pedals have great responsiveness but if you spend a lot of time pounding them you might run into trouble. Still, the overall feedback on this wheel is great.
4. Logitech Driving Force G920 Racing Wheel
Coming in at #4 on our list is the Logitech Driving Force G920 Racing Wheel. We chose this steering wheel for several reasons. First, it comes from Logitech – a very reliable brand when it comes to wireless technology. Second, it has super-realistic steering and pedal action, and very quick feedback – it comes very close to simulating a real racing experience. Finally, it’s also extremely durable and can stand up to some hard use.
On the downside, this wheel does have a couple. The first is that the brake pedals arrive rather stiff and difficult to operate. They will loosen up with use, but out of the box they’re a bit tricky. The second is that the central dead zone may need to be tweaked to give you the visibility and control you need. And finally, the LED display on the wheel itself is very bright – not a big deal while you’re playing, but it is if you need to use the buttons on the wheel itself.
3. Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel for Xbox
Our #3 pick is the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel. We chose this wheel for our list because it’s a replica of the Ferrari 458 Italia steering wheel and it delivers a realistic driving experience. It has Ferrari GT-style gear shifters, and a texturized rubber coating for excellent grip and control. It’s also quite durable and stands up to daily usage.
There are a few potential negatives. The first is that the controller doesn’t have an up and down toggle, which can make it difficult to change some of the settings on the wheel itself. Second, this wheel is compatible with PC games but not with Xbox One – it’s made for the Xbox 360. And finally, the feedback on this wheel is not as realistic as some of the others on our list.
2. Thrustmaster VG TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
The #2 steering wheel on our list is the Thrustmaster VG TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition. This product makes our list because it includes everything you need to simulate a real-life driving experience: a detachable leather wheel, a base, and three pedals. The feedback has a ton of power, which makes it stand out from some of the other wheels on the market. It’s also very durable.
On the downside, this wheel is not inexpensive – if you’re looking for a bargain, this isn’t the wheel for you. It’s also got an issue with the breakaway cable, which detaches rather easily and may disrupt your game. Another issue is that it won’t automatically update when attached to the Xbox One.
1. Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel for Xbox One
The top item on our list is the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel. This is the Xbox One version of the #3 item on our list. We like it because it includes two paddles shifters and nine action buttons to give you a complete racing experience. The wheel itself is comfortable to hold, and it has Thrustmaster’s Bungee Cord mechanism that provides intuitive control.
There are a few potential cons to consider here. The first is that the pedals are lightweight and made of plastic. They work, but you’ll get better response from them if you anchor them with something heavy to keep them where they belong. The next issue is that the Windows 10 integration doesn’t work the way it should. All in all, this is a good wheel for beginners thanks to its affordable price, but it doesn’t provide the immersive experience of some of the other products on our list.
When you’re shopping for a steering wheel to use with your Xbox, you want a wheel that can stand up to the excitement of daily game play while delivering a fully immersive and realistic racing experience. The 10 steering wheels on our list represent the best choices available for your Xbox racing games.