Here are the top 10 best battery tenders in 2017. Learn how to choose the right battery charger/maintainer and then explore the top products.
How to Find the Right Battery Tender
With the right battery tender, you can increase the service life of the battery for your car, truck, motorcycle, or other equipment or vehicles. It’s an uncomplicated way to maintain 6V, 8V, or 12V batteries.
But, there is a major difference between a cheap battery tender and a quality product.
A quality battery tender will provide proper charge control. This helps eliminate the chances of frying your battery. To find the right battery tender, review these details:
- Multiple battery charging
- Multiple charging modes
- Override switch or button
- Peak amps (charge current)
- Direct wall plug-in
- Battery tester
First, consider the benefits of multiple battery charging or multiple charging modes. These features can help you get more out of your battery tender. For example, you want to maintain multiple batteries without needing to purchase additional chargers.
Some chargers are equipped with an override switch. This allows you to manually charge the battery. Other features include whether it comes with a standard 120-volt plug and the length of the cord.
The peak amps determine how quickly the charger can charge a dead battery. For example, a standard auto battery is 50 amp hours. With a 10-amp battery tender, this should take about 6 hours to charge.
Finally, check for a warranty. If you plan on using your battery tender regularly, you don’t want it to stop working within a few months. Most chargers come with a 1 to 5-year warranty.
Best Battery Tenders in 2017
Remember these details to narrow down your options. And, don’t forget to check out this list of the top 10 best battery tenders in 2017.
Table of Contents
- 10. CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger
- 9. KeyLine Chargers KC-125-MPXP 12V 1.25 Amp Automatic Mini Pro-XP
- 8. Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger
- 7. Morange MBC010 12V/1A Smart Battery Charger
- 6. NOCO Genius G1100 GV/12V 1.1A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger
- 5. PeleusTech Battery Charger 12V Portable UltraSafe Smart Charger
- 4. Deltran Battery Tender Junior 12 Volt 3-Pack
- 3. Black & Decker BM3B 6V and 12V Battery Charger
- 2. Extreme Max 1229.4000 Battery Buddy Intelligent 6V / 12V Battery Charger
- 1. Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger
10. CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger
First is a fully automatic 4-step battery charger. Here is what you need to know:
- Water and dust resistant design
- Floating mode to prevent overcharging
- Automatically tests battery condition
- Maintains and charges batteries
- Delivers 12-volts
This battery charger and maintainer is easy to operate. It takes care of everything, as it’s a fully automatic charger. It comes equipped with a 7-foot cord, clamps, and O-rings. This is designed for 12V batteries but is suitable for larger batteries.
Honestly, the only disadvantage is the price. This is just as effective as the other battery chargers, but it’s available at twice the average price. Depending on the latest sale, you might get a better deal, so it’s still worth considering.
9. KeyLine Chargers KC-125-MPXP 12V 1.25 Amp Automatic Mini Pro-XP
This next battery tender is designed to quickly charge your 12V batteries. You’ll also get these advantages from this battery charger:
- 12V battery maintainer and conditioner
- 5-stage charging program
- Suitable for use with lead-acid, sealed, gel, and AGM batteries
- Standard 110-volt input
- Delivers 1.25-amps
- Reverse polarity protection
For versatility, ease of use, and efficiency, this is a great battery charger. It includes a complete 5-stage charging program. It also has 3 status LED lights, over voltage protection, and a waterproof design. And, you get a money back, satisfaction guarantee, along with a 5-year warranty.
This tender has plenty of wonderful features, yet it’s not the top option. This is due to a few small disadvantages. The cord is only about 6-feet in length. This isn’t a major problem, as you can add an extension cord, but there are battery chargers with long cords. Also, it isn’t the most affordable option. Overall, it’s a quality charger, but you should still compare it to the other battery chargers.
8. Schumacher SE-1-12S-CA Fully Automatic Onboard Battery Charger
Here is a fully automatic battery charger. It delivers 1.5-amps of power and features reverse polarity protection. Learn more:
- LED indicator for power on and charged
- Turns on and off automatically as needed – fully automated
- Safely charge your 6V and 12V batteries
- Includes mounting brackets and hardware
This is a simple battery tender with basic features. It doesn’t include multiple charge modes, but it can safely charge your small batteries. As a bonus, it comes equipped with mounting brackets and hardware. This allows you to mount the charger to the wall in your garage. Basically, this is a simple plug-in trickle charger with standard safety features – including the reverse polarity protection.
One drawback is that this charge won’t maintain your battery. It’s just a charger. Also, the charger can be inconsistent with its charging power. Though, for the price, you can’t expect too much. If you just need a basic charger and don’t want to spend too much, this is a decent choice.
7. Morange MBC010 12V/1A Smart Battery Charger
Yet another 12-volt charger, this option might meet your needs. Here is a closer look at the details:
- Automatic charge cycle
- Spark proof with reverse polarity protection
- 3-step charging program – constant current, constant voltage, and floating charge
- LED light indicates the stage of the charge
- 1-year warranty
You can easily connect this charger to your vehicle battery with the included O-ring terminals and battery clips. It uses a complete 3-step charging program, which includes a floating charge mode. This is the mode that prevents overcharging. Another benefit is the price tag. This is an inexpensive option. But, don’t let the price fool you. It’s still a reliable battery charger.
Though, there are also some disadvantages. This charger won’t deliver enough power for larger batteries. Also, the cord length is 6.6-feet, which is a little shorter than some of the other options. Again, the low price should help balance some of these drawbacks. Overall, this is a decent little battery tender – for 12V batteries.
6. NOCO Genius G1100 GV/12V 1.1A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger
This next battery charger looks complicated. But, it is relatively easy to operate. This battery charger also provides the following:
- Charge fully drained batteries
- Microcontroller technology
- Streamlined, spark proof design
- Monitors battery activity
- LED indicators
This battery tender is suitable for all types of automotive, marine, sport, or lawn equipment battery. It includes advanced microcontroller technology to ensure proper charging. And, it can help charge your batteries at up to twice the speed of other battery chargers. The design is compact and spark-proof.
Some people have had problems getting this charger to charge a fully drained battery. This could be due to user error, as others haven’t had this problem. Though, there is one known drawback. This charger won’t work below freezing. Also, this model only provides 1.1-amps of power, which is enough for 12V or smaller batteries. If 1.1-amps isn’t enough power, this battery tender is available in multiple sizes. You can get a 0.75, 1.1, 3.5, 7.2, 15, or 26-amp battery charger with the same features.
5. PeleusTech Battery Charger 12V Portable UltraSafe Smart Charger
Up next is a 12V battery charger with an uncomplicated design. You will also get these benefits:
- LED indicator light to show charging status
- Easy to use – plug and play
- Charge or maintain your batteries
- Includes float mode
- Maximum voltage of 14.8-volts
With this simple battery tender, you can maintain or charge your 2V batteries. This includes AGM, gel, SLA, or FLA 12-volt batteries. It also has a LED indicator. The float mode is included to protect your battery from overcharging.
There are a couple of disadvantages. First, this charger doesn’t include reverse polarity protection. You will need to make sure that you clip the clamps correctly – red is positive and black is negative. Also, it isn’t the most reliable battery charger. Some people have had issues with charge time. Another issue is that the charger plugs directly into the wall socket and contains clamps with a 3-foot cord. Typically, the charger is a separate unit from the plug. But, some of these issues are countered by the cheap price. This charger is incredibly inexpensive. The bottom line is that this is the most economical choice for keeping your batteries charged.
4. Deltran Battery Tender Junior 12 Volt 3-Pack
Deltran is the most highly-rated brand of battery tenders. This charger is suitable for 12V batteries. Check out the other features of this battery tender:
- Includes a 3-step charging program – bulk, charge, and float mode
- Automatic charging – switches to float mode after fully charged
- You get 3 battery tenders in this package
- 12-foot cord
- 2 color LED lights for indicating the stage of the charge
This is another battery charger that is easy to operate. You can use it for charging or maintaining your 12V batteries. This includes the AGM, flooded, or sealed batteries. It’s a high-quality product and it will help you increase the service life of your battery. Though, the best benefit is that you get 3 chargers in this pack at one low price.
It’s hard to find anything wrong with this charger. While it won’t charge larger batteries, it is great for 12V batteries. In the end, it’s easy to use and you get 3 chargers so that you can keep multiple batteries charged.
3. Black & Decker BM3B 6V and 12V Battery Charger
Black & Decker is a reliable company. They produce numerous power tools and equipment, including this battery charger. Here are the top details and advantages:
- Charges 6V and 12V batteries
- Comes with battery clips for connecting to a vehicle battery
- High-frequency smart charging technology
- Float mode monitoring
- Built-in mounting bracket
This battery charger delivers 1.5 amps of power to 6V or 12V batteries. It also includes reverse polarity protection. You might also like the included battery clamps, O-rings, and DC plug for connecting to a variety of battery types.
Overall, most people don’t have any complaints about this battery tender. It’s not extra fancy or complicated. It simply gets the job done. The only potential issue is the length of the cord. It is short, but you can also add an extension cord.
2. Extreme Max 1229.4000 Battery Buddy Intelligent 6V / 12V Battery Charger
The Extreme Max is another battery charger designed for use with 6V or 12V batteries. It’s suitable for charging the battery for your ATV, motorcycle, or boat. And, you get the following features:
- 4-step charging program– initialization, bulk, charge, and float mode
- 1-year warranty
- 110-volt plug
- Easy to use design
This battery charger is easy to use and works great with 6V or 12V batteries. It also works with a standard electric outlet and has an 8-foot cord. Other features include a waterproof design and a single LED status indicator.
One issue with this battery charger is that it won’t charge batteries with a voltage below 3-volts. Also, it appears that some of these chargers die within a few weeks of use. Though, this isn’t always the case. Luckily, it is backed by a 1-year warranty. The bottom line is that this battery tender is incredibly affordable and fully capable of charging your 6V or 12V battery. But, if you want to guarantee the reliability of the charger, then check out the next entry.
1. Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger
Here is the top choice. It’s lightweight, versatile, and easy to use. Designed for 12-volt batteries, it offers the following features:
- 5-year warranty
- 4-step charging program – initialization, bulk, charge, and float mode
- Automatic charge cycle switches to float mode after charging the battery
- 2 color LED lights to indicate the charging process
- Spark proof
- 12-foot cord
This is one of the easiest battery chargers to use. It’s perfectly suited for charging all 12-volt batteries. This includes lead-acid, flooded, or sealed batteries. It also has reversed hookup protection. This means that the charger checks the connection before delivering power. Another cool feature is the smart microcontroller. The best battery tenders have these microcontrollers, which are used to ensure the correct power is delivered to the battery.
The only drawback is the size. This charger isn’t suitable for larger batteries, such as an SUV or truck battery. With most mid-sized cars and sedans, it can be used for maintenance, but not for charging. Though, for 12-volt batteries, it is the best combination of value, quality, and ease of use.
Before choosing your battery tender, remember to compare all the top 10 best battery tenders in 2017 – and don’t forget to purchase a charger that is large enough to meet your needs.