Using a GoPro is a great way to get footage on the go, but you not if you run out of battery power. The solution is to buy a BacPac – a portable battery pack that you can attach to your GoPro to extend its life.
A BacPac is a must if you’re going on any kind of extended hike or photography trip. You won’t have to worry about your camera dying on you. There are plenty of BacPac options available, so before we talk about our top pics, let’s review what you should be looking for.
Table of Contents
- 10. GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac for Original Hero HD & Hero2 Cameras
- 9. Newmowa 2500mAh Power Battery Bacpac for Gopro Hero4, Hero3, Hero2
- 8. Wasabi Power Extended Battery compatible with GoPro HERO4, HERO3+, HERO3
- 7. Vicdozia 2.0 Inch LCD BacPac External Monitor Display Viewer Non-Touch Screen
- 6. Lightwish 2.0 inch LCD BacPac External Monitor Display Viewer Screen Accessory Kit
- 5. GoPro Hero4 LCD Touch BacPac
- 4. GoPro LCD Touch BacPac for HERO3+ and HERO3
- 3. YOEMELY 2.0 Inch LCD Screen for GoPro Hero 4/ 3+/ 3
- 2. GoPro ALCDB-401 LCD Touch BacPac
- 1. GoPro LCD Touch BacPac For Gopro Hero4 + Gopro GoPro Rechargeable Battery
What to Look for in a GoPro BacPac
A GoPro BacPac is an essential add-on for your GoPro. Here are some of the key features you should be looking for as you decide which BacPac to buy:
- Battery life is very important, and there is some variation among models. You’ll have to weigh the strength of the battery against other features to determine which BacPac to buy. Many BacPacs have a battery that adds to the life of your GoPro’s battery, while others run off the internal battery.
- Another key consideration is the weight of the BacPac you choose, especially if you’ll be using your GoPro on long hikes where you have to carry all of your equipment on your back. Some BacPacs are lighter than others.
- The display features of a GoPro BacPac can make a big difference in terms of how enjoyable it is to use. Many of the new models come with an LCD screen so you can attach it to your camera and see your footage, but some have higher resolution than others. Some have touch screens, too, so again, it comes down to your preference.
- Some BacPacs work with certain GoPro models and not with others. You’ll have to pay careful attention to compatibility before buying to make sure that the BacPac you choose is compatible with your GoPro.
- Finally, price is always a consideration. Quality and expense don’t always go in hand, but sometimes they do. You’ll have to weigh the price of each BacPac against your budget and your requirements to choose the model that will deliver a satisfactory return on the investment you make in it.
These are the five key considerations to keep in mind when evaluating the various options and choosing a BacPac to extend the battery life of your GoPro.
Best GoPro LCD Touch BacPacs in 2018
Now that you know what to look for in a GoPro BacPac, let’s look at our choices for the 10 best BacPacs in 2018.
10. GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac for Original Hero HD & Hero2 Cameras
The #10 pick on our list is the GoPro Wi-Fi BacPac for Original Hero HD & Hero2 Cameras. We’re including this one primarily because it works on the older Hero models and the newer versions don’t. However, we also like it because it’s Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. It comes with both a waterproof and a non-waterproof housing so you can use it while swimming or skiing.
There are a few negatives to consider here. First, as previously noted, this model won’t work with the newer Hero models. It doesn’t have an LCD screen so if it’s important to you to see footage as you shoot this BacPac might not be an ideal choice. And finally, there may be a slight delay between when the video is recorded and when you see it on your smartphone or tablet using the GoPro app.
9. Newmowa 2500mAh Power Battery Bacpac for Gopro Hero4, Hero3, Hero2
Our next pick is the Newmowa Power Battery BacPac, which fits the GoPro Hero 2, 3 and 4 models. We like it because of its light weight – when you put it on your GoPro, it adds only 2 ounces of weight, making it ideal for long heights. Its rechargeable lithium ion battery will triple your shooting time, and if you want to shoot in water, you can do it with the waterproof case. It’s also one of the least expensive models on our list.
On the downside, it’s important to note that the waterproof case included with this BacPac fits only the Hero 4, not the earlier models. It also physically doubles the size of your camera, something that may be an issue for some users. The battery also can get hot during long shoots, so keep that in mind. On the whole, though, this is a good product at an affordable price.
8. Wasabi Power Extended Battery compatible with GoPro HERO4, HERO3+, HERO3
Our next pick is the Wasabi Power Extended Battery, which is compatible with the Hero 3 and Hero 3+ and the Hero 4. You can use it with any standard USB charger, which is nice if you end up needing to find a replacement charger quickly. It’s tiny, weighing in at less than an ounce, and you can order back doors for it if you want for a small additional charge.
There are a few potential negatives to consider here. While there is an indicator to show that the pack is charging, there is no clear indication when it is fully charged. Also, while it does extend the battery life it’s really only for about an hour and a half, or about the same length as the internal battery, meaning that it’s not ideal for very long shoots. And finally, this pack works well in warm weather but tends to drain fairly quickly in cold temperatures.
7. Vicdozia 2.0 Inch LCD BacPac External Monitor Display Viewer Non-Touch Screen
The #7 pick on our list is the Vicdozia LCD BacPac, which we like for its nice clear display and sturdiness. This is a thin screen that doesn’t add much bulk at all, and it’s hardy enough to be used in any temperature from -20 Celsius to 70 Celsius. There’s no lag in video viewing time, which is great if you want to be able to be sure about the quality of the footage you’re getting.
The primary downside of this BacPac is that it runs off of your GoPro’s internal battery so if you want to extend the battery life you’ll still need to add an external battery pack. However, it also doesn’t really drain the GoPro battery so you shouldn’t notice much effect from attaching it. It fits only the Hero 3, 3+, and 4 models, so if you have an earlier model you’ll need to look elsewhere.
6. Lightwish 2.0 inch LCD BacPac External Monitor Display Viewer Screen Accessory Kit
The #6 pick on our list is the Lightwish 2-inch BacPac accessory kit. We like it because it’s very lightweight, weighing in at just over four ounces. It comes with two protective cases to keep your GoPro safe no matter where you use it, and it attaches securely to the camera so you won’t have to worry about it coming loose.
There are a couple of things that could be better on this BacPac. First, it’s not a touch screen. Because of the protective cases it’s a good choice for mounting to vehicles when you wouldn’t be able to use a touch screen anyway, but not so great if you want the ease of touch controls. Second, it doesn’t extend the life of the battery because it draws down on the GoPro’s battery.
5. GoPro Hero4 LCD Touch BacPac
Our #5 pick is the GoPro Hero4 LCD Touch BacPac, which is sold directly by GoPro. We like it because it has a touch screen, something that allows for greater ease of use than the BacPacs with traditional controls. You can video as you film both at regular speed and in slow motion – great if you’re trying to capture the perfect footage of a trick. You can adjust the brightness of the screen to help preserve the battery life, but the screen is also visible in full sunlight.
The main argument against this particular BacPac is its bulk. It added several inches to the back of the camera which may make it awkward for some people to use. It is compatible only with the Hero 4, which means this isn’t an option if you have an earlier model.
4. GoPro LCD Touch BacPac for HERO3+ and HERO3
The #4 pick on our list is this GoPro LCD Touch for the Hero 3 and Hero 3+. Again, this BacPac is sold directly by GoPro. We like it because the LCD screen is lightweight and thin, and can easily be detached from your GoPro. Framing pictures and videos is easy with the intuitive touch screen. This model allows real-time video playback.
There are a few potential downsides to consider here. First, like many of the BacPacs sold by GoPro, this one doesn’t add to the GoPro’s battery life. If you use it continually you may end up disappointed with how quickly it drains the battery, but with intermittent use you can get close to your full battery life with this attached. And while it comes with a skeleton housing, it’s not waterproof and you’ll need to buy a separate housing for shooting in the water or rain.
3. YOEMELY 2.0 Inch LCD Screen for GoPro Hero 4/ 3+/ 3
Our #3 pick is the 2-inch LCD Screen by Yoemely, which fits the most recent Hero models including 3, 3+ and 4. We chose it because the touch controls make it easy to use, and it can even be reversed and put on the front of the camera if you want to shoot selfies. It’s lightweight, easily removable, and has an integrated speaker to make it easy to review videos. We also like that the screen’s brightness is adjustable to make it easy to extend the battery life.
On the negative side, this BacPac doesn’t look as well-made as some of the others on the market, but it is actually quite durable. However, if the look of your accessories matters to you, you may want to choose another option. It also doesn’t have an internal battery, so you’ll have to be careful on long trips and you may want to add an external battery as well.
2. GoPro ALCDB-401 LCD Touch BacPac
Coming in at #2 on our list is another GoPro product, the GoPro ALCDB-401 LCD Touch BacPac. This BacPac works for the Hero 3, 3+ and 4 cameras. It comes with three separate housings: a skeleton housing so you can access the camera directly, a waterproof housing, and a waterproof touch case so you can still access the screen and use the touch controls. Like the previous item, it allows for real-time and slow motion viewing of videos.
There are a few potential negatives to consider. This is not the most lightweight model available, weighing in at about 8 ounces. It adds some bulk to the camera without extending the battery life, so you’ll need an external battery if you plan on a long hike or adventure. On the whole, though, this is a versatile item that can help you get the footage you need.
1. GoPro LCD Touch BacPac For Gopro Hero4 + Gopro GoPro Rechargeable Battery
Finally, our top pic is the LCD Touch BacPac and Rechargeable Battery set from GoPro. We like it because it includes a high-quality touch BacPac, a 32GB memory card, and a battery for a relatively low price. The touch LCD screen offers a clear picture, easy real time and slow-motion playback of video and audio, and it is compatible with the various housings, including the skeleton housing and the blackout housing.
There isn’t much not to like about this BacPac, but you should keep in mind that this package does not include any housings or cases. It also works only for the GoPro Hero 4, so if you have an earlier model you’ll have to try one of the other items on our list.
Buying a GoPro BacPac can add a new level of fun and precision to using your GoPro, particularly if you have a model that didn’t come with an LCD display. The best model to use is the one that allows you to access all of your controls while adding minimal bulk to your camera.